Elton John Denies Reports He’s Playing At Trump’s Inauguration
Elton John has denied reports that he has agreed to perform at president-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration.
On Wednesday, a representative for the 69-year-old singer said that reports that he will be performing his hits at a pre-inauguration concert before Trump is sworn in as president of the United States in January are false, according to the New York Post. (RELATED: Elton John Calls Trump A ‘Barbarian’ While Raising Big Bucks For Hillary)
“Elton will not be performing at Trump’s inauguration,” the representative said.
The response comes following reports Tuesday that an advisor with Trump’s presidential inaugural committee said he would be, during an interview on BBC’s show “Hardtalk.”
“[email protected] transition team member Anthony @Scaramucci says his boss supports gay rights and Elton John will play the Inauguration,” the official Twitter account for the show tweeted.
.@realDonaldTrump transition team member Anthony @Scaramucci says his boss supports gay rights and Elton John will play the Inauguration pic.twitter.com/mEyPZ5ZVZj
— BBC HARDtalk (@BBCHARDtalk) November 22, 2016
“Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall for inauguration,” Anthony Scaramucci said.
During the campaign season the singer’s music could be heard at Trump rallies even though John had previously stated his opposition to the use of his music at campaign rallies, according to another report.
“I don’t really want my music to be involved in anything to do with an American election campaign,” the singer said.
“I’m British. I’ve met Donald Trump, he was very nice to me, it’s nothing personal, his political views are his own, mine are very different, I’m not a Republican in a million years,” he added. “Why not ask Ted f***ing Nugent? Or one of those fucking country stars? They’ll do it for you.”