Judge Rules Damaging Testimony Can Be Used In Cosby Trial
A judge has ruled that damaging testimony from a past lawsuit can be used in Bill Cosby’s criminal sexual assault trial.
On Monday, a Pennsylvania judge ruled that the 79-year-old comedian never had a promise from prosecutors that he wouldn’t be charged if he testified in Andrea Constand’s previous civil lawsuit, according to New York Post’s Page Six. Cosby faces multiple charges of aggravated indecent assault in Pennsylvania after the woman accused him of drugging and abusing her in his home 12 years ago. (RELATED: Bill Cosby Ordered To Stand Trial In Sexual Assault Case)
Cosby’s lawyers tried to get the case thrown out because they argued that the prosecutor in 2004 said he would never be charged as part of a no-prosecution deal the two parties made.
Prosecutors say they reopened the case after multiple women came forward last year and made similar allegations against Cosby.
In the deposition Cosby gave in 2005 and 2006, the comedian admitted to giving Quaaludes to women before “consensual” sexual encounters. Various women have said they were not consensual and accused him of drugging and molesting them. (RELATED: Clinton Campaign Worried About Bill Cosby Clinton Foundation Ties)
The judge must still rule if 13 other woman who have accused Cosby of assault can be called to testify in the trial.
Defense attorneys argue that the women’s memories have been “marred by time, media coverage of the case and their friendship with one another.” Adding their memory expert found that the women’s statements can be dismissed as nothing more than “stories of that night spent partying with a famous celebrity,” according to another report.
Cosby has maintained his innocence. The felony trial will take place no later than June 5, 2017.
If convicted, the comedian faces up to 10 years for violating the accuser while she was impaired, unconscious or could not give consent.