San Diego Chargers Announce Relocation To Los Angeles
The San Diego Chargers have announced they will be moving to Los Angeles for the 2017 season.
Chargers chairman Dean Spanos made the announcement official with a letter posted to the team’s already revamped Twitter account Thursday.
A letter from Dean Spanos pic.twitter.com/rTNIvrsN1A
— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) January 12, 2017
“After much deliberation, I have made the decision to relocate the Chargers to Los Angeles, beginning with the 2017 NFL season,” Spanos began.
“San Diego has been our home for 56 years. It will always be part of our identity, and my family and I have nothing but gratitude and appreciation for the support and passion our fans have shared with us over the years,” the Chargers chairman continued.
“But today, we turn the page and begin an exciting new era as the Los Angeles Chargers.”
“At first, I hoped it was fake news. It’s something that is unfathomable, but it is reality,” Chargers great Dan Fouts told ESPN of the move.
Current Chargers players have had mixed reactions to the relocation.
“It’s different to hear the Los Angeles Chargers,” wide receiver Keenan Allen told ESPN, “but it should be dope.”
“More than anything, I’m shocked,” defensive tackle Corey Liuget said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen. I thought we were going to stay in San Diego,” Liuget added. “I thought something would’ve got done and worked out. … So I guess L.A. is our new home then.”
The Chargers applied to relocate to Los Angeles last year along with the then St. Louis Rams. Now they will join the Rams to compete for fans in one of the nation’s biggest markets.