Report: Disney Still Plans To Have Carrie Fisher In Next ‘Star Wars’

Katie Jerkovich | Contributor

Disney executives have denied reports that they are in negotiations with Carrie Fisher’s estate to have the right’s to her digital image for upcoming “Star Wars” films.

On Friday, Lucasfilm issued a statement regarding the rumors stating that they had “no plans to digitally recreate” Fisher’s performance.

“We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address,” the statement read. “We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa. Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family.” (RELATED: Hollywood Mourns The News Of Carrie Fisher’s Death)

Carrie Fisher poses for cameras as she arrives at the European Premiere of Star Wars, The Force Awakens in Leicester Square, London, December 16, 2015. REUTERS/Paul Hackett/File Photo

(photo: REUTERS/Paul Hackett/File Photo)

“She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend,” they added. “We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.”

The statement follows a Thursday BBC report, that said Star Wars studio Disney “had opened with the actor’s estate” for continued use of her appearance in the franchise. However, it is noted that there is no word if that involved use of her image in upcoming movies or merchandise.

Fisher, best known for her role as Princess Leia, died last month of a heart attack. Disney executives said there would be a meeting in the new year, according to a report in the Hollywood Reporter, about dealing with her death as she was set to play a significant role in the upcoming “Star Wars” films.

Insiders say she had reportedly finished shooting her parts for Episode VIII that comes out in December of this year, but she was to play an even bigger role in Episode IX that comes out in 2019. (RELATED: Carrie Fisher Death Confirmed As Heart Attack)

The report notes that the use of reviving an actor for the franchise already took place in “Rogue Onewith the CGI recreation of actor Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin.

Fisher suffered a heart attack on board her flight from London to Los Angeles on Dec. 23. She died days later on December 27 at UCLA Medical Center, according to the certificate. Her death is listed as a “cardiac arrest/deferred.” She was 60-years-old.

Update: The story has been updated to include the statement from Lucasfilm dealing with the rumors.

Katie Jerkovich

Contributor

Trending

Here Are The Smoke Room’s Women Of The Year [SLIDESHOW]
Check Out Olivia Culpo In A Black Swimsuit
This Larsa Pippen Swimsuit Photo Is Exactly What You Need On Your Friday
Anastasia Ashley’s Tie-Dye Swimsuit Is Worth Checking Out