Hackers Stole An Upcoming Disney Movie — And They’re Holding It For Ransom
Disney is the latest victim of a hack attack in the entertainment industry with hackers claiming to have gained access to one of their upcoming movies and holding it for ransom.
During a town hall meeting in New York City with ABC executives, Disney chief Bob Iger said that a movie had been stolen, but did not release the name of the film, according to the Hollywood Reporter. (RELATED: Watch First Trailer For ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ Trailer [VIDEO])
Iger said they were working with federal investigators over the hack and promised that the hackers’ efforts would fail as they refused to pay the large sum the thieves demanded be paid by Bitcoin. (RELATED: First ‘Cars 3’ Trailer Apparently Shows Lightning McQueen Dying A Grisly, Gruesome Death [VIDEO])
Hackers have threatened to release the first five minutes of the movie and then release an additional 20 minutes in pieces until the ransom’s paid.
The next movies to be released by Disney include “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and “Cars 3.”
Last week, rumors spread that work print of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” had been stolen and was being held for ransom. Disney never made a comment on the mater, but reports seem to confirm that the hack was just a hoax.
Several weeks ago, a hacker uploaded 10 episodes of the upcoming season to the popular Netflix series “Orange is the New Black” to The Pirate Bay after the streaming service refused to pay the ransom ahead of the official launch on June 9.