Disney Exec Opens Up About That Movie Allegedly Being Held For Ransom

Katie Jerkovich | Contributor

Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that they had a threat that a digital copy of one of their upcoming movies had been stolen and was being held for ransom, but said they didn’t think it was true.

“To our knowledge we were not hacked,” Iger told Yahoo Finance Thursday. “We had a threat of a hack of a movie being stolen.” (RELATED: Watch First Trailer For ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ Trailer [VIDEO])

Disney CEO Bob Iger (Getty Images)

Disney CEO Bob Iger (Getty Images)Disney CEO Bob Iger (Getty Images)

“And we decided to take it seriously but not react in the manner in which the person who was threatening us had required,” he added. “And we don’t believe, by the way, that it was real and nothing has happened.” (RELATED: First ‘Cars 3’ Trailer Apparently Shows Lightning McQueen Dying A Grisly, Gruesome Death [VIDEO])

As previously reported, Iger said last week during a town hall meeting in New York City, that hackers had claimed that a movie had been stolen, but did not release the name of the film. They were working with federal investigators and promised that the hackers’ efforts would fail as they refused to pay the large sum the thieves demanded be paid by Bitcoin.

Hackers threatened to release the first five minutes of the movie, and then release an additional 20 minutes in pieces until the ransom was paid.

It was believed that the movie was one of the two upcoming Disney films “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” out Friday or “Cars 3,” which hits theaters June 16.

 

Katie Jerkovich

Contributor

Trending

PHOTOS: Megan Fox Posts Jaw-Dropping Lingerie Pic
VIDEO: Stella Maxwell Works Up A Sweat In Lingerie For Love’s Advent Series
These Ronda Rousey Photos Are The Greatest Thing On The Internet [SLIDESHOW]
This Swimsuit Model’s Photos Are Straight Up Out Of Control [SLIDESHOW]